Our Complaint Investigation Unit was created to assure that complete, fair, and impartial investigations are made of citizen complaints.
To Make a Complaint
- You can make a complaint in person at any time (day or night) to any police department employee.
- You can use the Citizen Complaint form: CitizenComplaint.pdf
- You can also file your complaint at any of the following offices:
- The Police Review Board in care of the Office of the Vice Chancellor-Administration, 200 California Hall, 642-3100, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UCPD, #1 Sproul Hall, 510-642-6760, email@example.com
- ASUC Student Advocate, 412B Eshleman Hall, 510-642-6912
- LEAD, 432 Eshleman Hall | Hours M-F: 9am-5pm | 510-642-5171, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination, 2111 Bancroft Way Suite 300, 510-643-7985, ask email@example.com
- Office of Government and Community Relations, 2200 Bancroft Way, 510-642-7860
All complaints shall be forwarded immediately to the Chief of Police.
There is a time limit on complaints:
- 30 calendar days from the date of the incident for most complaints
- Up to 90 calendar days from the date of the incident in the case of a sexual harassment complaint.
How Are Complaints Handled?
Complaints are normally referred to the Duty Supervisor, who responds depending on the circumstances. The Duty Supervisor can:
- Open an immediate investigation, or
- Forward a report to the Complaint Investigation Unit
Complaint Investigation Policy
- See UCPD Complaint Investigation Policy for our specific policy for handling complaints against department employees, policies, and operations.
Informal Resolution of Complaints
Campus Ombuds Offices are available to assist with informal resolution of complaints. Assistance provided by the Ombuds Offices is separate from the formal process.
You can make an informal complaint at the Ombuds Office:
- Faculty (and non-Senate academics), 510-642-4226
- Staff, 510-642-7823
- Students, 510-642-5754