Drive & Ride Legally and Safely on Campus

Bike Registration: Mon - Fri, 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm

If you are a student, register your bike. Bring it with you to the UCPD Lobby.

Bike Registration

Per city municipal law, bicycles must possess a license (a DMV sticker affixed to your bicycle; issued for free by UCPD) in the City of Berkeley.  Other nearby cities might have similar laws.  Additionally, to use some secure bicycle parking areas on campus and at residence halls, campus building managers might ask that you have a license (UCPD sticker) on your bicycle.

Unfortunately the City of Berkeley does not offer bicycle licensing, but UCPD offers bicycle licensing services for free.  Currently we offer two time periods for bike registration. Bicycle registration hours are weekdays 5:00pm - 9:00pm in the UCPD Lobby. A CSO will assist with your licensing at the front counterIf you have any questions about the bicycle registration process, please email

Make sure you bring your actual bike with you when you come in to register it, as we need the bike to find the following information:

  • Serial Number
  • Manufacturer and Model
  • Wheel Diameter and Frame Size

Please note that UCPD does not control access into the secure bike cages on campus or the residence halls. This access is controlled and given by the respective building managers or Unit Front Desks.

For Bicycles:

Speed. Right Of Way.

On the UC Berkeley campus, pedestrians have the right-of-way at all times, except where signage directs pedestrians to give the right of way to bikes.

Bicyclists are subject to the same rules of the road as motor vehicle drivers. There are even speed limits for bikes. Within 10 feet of a pedestrian, you can be fined for going faster than 5 mph. The maximum speed limit on roadways is 25 mph, except where posted otherwise. In driveways and parking lots it is 10 mph. 

California Vehicle Code Laws

  • You cannot ride a bicycle while wearing headphones.
  • You must have a headlight that illuminates the path when riding at night.

UCPD Riding Guidelines

A headlight for night riding use is required by law. A red rear reflector, two side reflectors on each wheel and reflector pedals should be used. Light-colored, reflective clothing is also a good idea.

  • Always ride with traffic.
  • Signal your turns and moves.
  • Ride in a straight line.
  • Ride as far to the right as possible.
  • If there is a bike lane, use it.
  • Wear a bicycle helmet.

In general, be visible, ride predictably, and communicate with motorists by your actions and signals.

EXTRA CREDIT:  To avoid unpredictable collisions, it's nice to let pedestrians know you're approaching and which side you'll pass them on: i.e. call out a hearty, "On your left!" so that you're sure you are heard.

Read more guidelines in Share the Road

Where can I park and lock my bicycle?

Even of there is no sign posted, you may NEVER park your bike in these places:

  • corridors
  • stairwells
  • exit pathways
  • anywhere else where it may impede emergency exit from a building

Ask yourself, "If I lock it here, would it block passage or access to someone requiring use of a handrail, or the full width of a throughway."

Fines and parking tickets can exceed $200.

Don't park carelessly or your bike may be impounded. 

Secure Bicycle Parking

It's a little known fact that our own Parking & Transportation Department offers Secure Bicycle Parking on campus. Using that service is perfect if you have a particularly valuable bike, or you can't risk the loss. Campus affiliates may apply for a space. Your bike must be licensed to use the facilities. The facilities are located in campus parking areas.

For Vehicles:

All vehicles coming onto the UC Berkeley campus must observe the driving and parking regulations identified in the campus policy for Vehicle Access to Campus: is external)(link is external)

The routes designated for vehicles are identified on the vehicle campus access map on the right:

What about motorized bicycles, scooters, and motor-driven cycles?

This chart Motorized Bicycles, Scooters, and Motor-Driven Cycles (PDF) summarizes the differences between certain popular motorized vehicles and devices. Note that for motorized bicycles or mopeds, you MUST have:

  • Registration
  • Valid License Plate
  • M2 Class License
  • Helmet

Note that for scooters, you MUST have:

  • License of Any Class
  • Helmet

Also, note that for motor-driven cycles, a.k.a. "motor scooters", even if they are less than 50cc, you MUST have:

  • Registration
  • Insurance
  • M1 Class License
  • Helmet

For the traffic code, see  the California Department of Motor Vehicles(link is external)