My neighbors are too noisy. Who do I call?

Is it different for residence halls and houses?

UCPD has jurisdiction over campus property, including Residence Halls, while City of Berkeley Police have jurisdiction over areas in Berkeley that are not owned by the University.  Excessive noise makers may be cited and fined as per City ordinances, or disciplined as per Residential Living rules, but a noise complaint is not a threat to life, limb, or property. You would call the non-emergency number for the agency with authority in your area for noise complaints.

  • UCPD — non-emergency, 24 hours 510/642-6760
  • BPD — non-emergency, 24 hours, 510/981-5900

Learn more about emergency and non-emergency reporting of crime
Learn more about Jurisdiction and Authority
Learn more about laws, policies and rules governing noise and disturbance on campus, in the city, and statewide