Your personal information can be used by criminals to gain services, create fraudulent credit accounts, and to obtain false identification. The following are items that you should never give out to strangers:
- Your credit card number or expiration date, unless you know the company is reputable.
- Your checking account number or ATM personal identification number.
- Your telephone calling card number.
- Your social security number. Only give this out if it is legally required.
- Your Driver's License number.
- Health information, such as your insurance, medical and mental history, and doctor.
- Information about your home security system, such as whether you have one or not, or your code.
- Information about those who live with you and whether you live alone.
- Your age or age category.
- Financial information, such as your annual income, mortgage, or financial institution.
In addition, you should keep track of whenever you do provide this information and to whom it was given.