Report unwanted communications

Harrassing or annoying communications, whether made by phone or any other electronic communications device, might include calls made by pranksters randomly or calls made intentionally by people with whom you have been acquainted. They can include calls at hours when you are sleeping; frequent pointless calls; calls where the caller says nothing; or obscene calls.

Harrassing calls may be made with intent to fraud, but may also be made just so the caller can get a reaction from you. Most can be stopped if you use some simple techniques. Your telephone is for your personal use and service. It is under your control and you are not obligated to talk to anyone.

  • Hang up if the caller doesn’t speak or you simply don’t feel comfortable talking.
  • If the caller asks, “Who is this?” or “What number have I reached?” don’t answer. Instead ask, “Who are you trying to reach?” or “What number did you call?” If the call is not legitimate, that will probably end it.
  • Under no circumstances should you give the names of others living with you to someone who doesn’t already know them.
  • Don’t give out any information to anyone whom you don’t recognize or who fails to give you satisfactory ID or affiliation. If the caller can’t respond to your request for identification or does not respond immediately, hang up.
  • If a caller persists after you have made it clear you don’t want to talk to them, the simplest response is tohang up.

If you are experiencing harassing communications, you should keep a log of all incidents. This documentation will help you in any investigation. About each incident, note date, time, and description of what happened.

About threatening calls

If a caller threatens you, your property or those with whom you live, notify UC Police immediately at the non-emergency number, (510) 642-6760. UC Police will assist you in working with telephone service providers to put a stop to the calls.

Resources for victims of crime

If you are an affiliate of UC Berkeley, whether a student or employee, these resources are available to you. We encourage you to reach out and learn about ways you might get further assistance.

  • UCPD
    1 Sproul Hall (basement, on Bancroft at Telegraph)
    • Non-emergency 24/7 (510) 642-6760
  • University Health
    2222 Bancroft Way (The Tang Center)
    • Urgent Care Clinic (510) 643-7197
    • Social Services (student) (510) 642-6074
    • Be Well at Work (staff) (510) 643-7754
  • Gender Equity Resource Center, Sexual Harassment/Sexual Assault Resource Specialist
  • Center for Student Conduct, (510) 643-9069
  • Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination, (510) 643-7985
  • Student Legal Services, (510) 642-3916
  • Student (510) 642-6912
  • Ombudsperson for Students and Postdoctoral Appointees, (510) 642-5754
  • Ombuds Office for Faculty (510) 642-4226
  • The Staff Ombuds Office (510) 642-7823