To increase your level of safety at automatic teller machines, follow these basic guidelines:
- Try to use the ATM during daylight hours. If you have to get cash at night, go with someone else and only use machines that are visible from a major street and well lit.
- Look for suspicious people or activity.
- If you notice anything out of the ordinary, even if you have started a transaction, cancel your transaction and leave.
- When entering your secret code, use your body as a shield.
- Always take your transaction receipts and statements.
- Do not count or display money at the ATM.
- Do not accept offers of help from anyone you don't know. If you have problems or questions contact your bank.
- When you use a drive-up ATM make sure your passenger windows are closed and all doors are locked.
- Do not give your secret code to anyone, including anyone posing as a police investigator or bank official.