The University of California Police Department is committed to providing the highest quality law-enforcement services to the University Community and its visitors. We take pride in tailoring our services to the needs of our community and we welcome your constructive comments, feedback and input to ensure we are doing the best job possible.
A proper relationship between the police and the public they serve, fostered by confidence and trust, is essential to successful law enforcement. Police personnel must be free to exercise their discretion and best judgment in situations of danger or disorder and to initiate action in a reasonable, lawful and impartial manner without fear of reprisal, while also observing the rights of all people.
If you have a question or concern about a contact with the police or our services in general there are several options available to you:
- Contact a supervisor, or the officer directly, #1 Sproul Hall, 510-642-6760
- Email us at email@example.com
- Complete our feedback questionnaire
- Send a letter or email to the Chief of Police
- File a formal or informal complaint (further information below)
How to make a complaint
A complaint may be made at any time of the day or night to any police department employee. Complaints received will normally be referred to the Duty Supervisor. Depending on the circumstances, they will either investigate immediately or forward a report to the Complaint Investigation Unit in the Office of the Chief.
Download the Citizen Complaint form. CitizenComplaint.pdf
The time limit for filing a complaint is 30 calendar days from the date of the alleged incident. Sexual harassment allegations will be accepted up to 90 calendar days after the alleged incident.
All citizen complaints against the sworn members of the UCPD, except the Chief or Assistant Chiefs or Captains, shall be processed under this procedure in accordance with the definitions and provisions thereof: no other campus review mechanisms or grievance procedures shall be applicable.
Complaint forms may be obtained, and complaints filed, at any of the following offices:
- The Police Review Board in care of the Office of the Vice Chancellor-Administration, 200 California Hall, 642-3100, firstname.lastname@example.org
- UCPD, #1 Sproul Hall, 510-642-6760 or email@example.com
- ASUC Student Advocate, 412B Eshleman Hall, 510-642-6912
- LEAD, 432 Eshleman Hall | Hours M-F: 9am-5pm | Phone: 510-642-5171 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org l, 642-5171
- Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Descrimination, 2111 Bancroft Way Suite 300, 510-643-7985, or email@example.com
- Office of Government and Community Relations, 2200 Bancroft Way, 510-642-7860
All complaints shall be forwarded immediately to the Chief of Police.
The campus ombuds offices are also available to assist with informal resolution of complaints. Assistance provided by the ombuds offices is separate from the formal process.
Informal complaints can be reported at the Ombuds offices:
- Faculty (and non-Senate academics), 510-642-4226
- Staff, 510-642-7823
- Students, 510-642-5754
The purpose of the Complaint Investigation Unit is to assure that complete, fair and impartial investigations are made of citizen complaints.
Complaint Investigation Policy:
A copy of UCPD's policy on processing complaints against department employees, policies and operations can be found below: