The buildings on the Berkeley campus are for appropriate use and enjoyment by students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
The following policies have been established to promote the safety and security of all occupants and visitors:
- Follow all posted building rules restricting use or access.
- Duplicating or distributing keys or card keys without authorization is a violation of the Campus Access Control Policy and is punishable under section 469 of the California Penal Code.
- Assisting unauthorized access to buildings or propping open exterior doors in violation of building security policies is a violation of the Campus Access Control Policy.
- Lodging overnight except in residential facilities or for academic purposes is prohibited.
- Adhere to all campus fire safety rules (available from the Campus Fire Marshal or Building Coordinator) including prompt, orderly evacuation in case of alarm.
- Intentionally initiating a false fire alarm is a violation of California Penal Code Section 148.4a punishable by a $1,000 fine or one year jail sentence.
- Disrupting classroom, administrative, or other University sponsored or approved activities can result in citations by UCPD, enforcement by the Student Conduct Office, and/or expulsion from the campus.
- Smoking in buildings (except for private residences) is prohibited by Campus policy. When smoking outside, keep enough distance to ensure tobacco smoke does not enter buildings.
- Riding mopeds, bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, or skates is prohibited in buildings or on walkways where hazards could be created by their use. In accordance with fire marshal policy, vehicles may not be stored in any public spaces, hallways, corridors, or stairwells, or attached to railings. Bicycles may be stored in non-public space sanctioned or authorized in buildings by departments or Building Coordinators/Managers.
- Animals (except laboratory animals or those assisting disabled persons) are not to be brought into buildings.
- Use of campus or departmental bulletin boards must be authorized by the department or by the Building Coordinator/ Manager.
- Tampering, misuse, abuse, or destruction of emergency equipment or other University property is a violation of Penal Code Sections 148.4 and 594(b).
Code regarding Animals revised 3/29/16
Previous edit, last revised 4/24/95